Permanent Full Time (CUPE 1329)
Restricted to current Town of Oakville employees
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca by no later than 11:59 pm on May 31, 2023.
The Building Services department is responsible to ensure construction, renovations and demolition of buildings, in the town of Oakville, are built to the minimum safety provisions in the aspects of public health, fire protection, accessibility and structural sufficiency. Public safety is our primary driver through the application of appropriate uniform building standards as prescribed by the Building Code Act and the Building Code. The department is also responsible for the administration of the town's zoning by-laws to ensure buildings are built in compliance with the applicable law. Where relief to the zoning by-law is sought, we administer the Committee of Adjustment minor variance process under the authority of the Planning Act.
We’re here to help people build smart, build safe and build with a permit.
The User Experience (UX) Specialist reports to the Supervisor, Service Delivery in Building Services and works with a variety of stakeholders, including the business unit, customers, project teams, corporate communications, web teams, information technology and other departments and vendors. The UX Specialist ensures consistency in style, format and delivery of communication, function of the online service and related software programs to deliver the best customer experience and achieve desired outcomes. This role supports the business in designing access, service delivery support tools and delivery of services intended to delight the user and make it easy to understand and interact with town services and staff.
- Undertake user research and analysis, contribute to the development and implementation of sites, business solutions, content, policies and procedures
- Provide innovative tactical advice for the design, development and deployment of the digital service channel for the line of business service to meet customer needs, business needs, legislative requirements and corporate communications objectives
- Work closely with business stakeholders to understand business and functional requirements, and document using story boards, wireframes and user stories that match the business and functional requirements
- Lead design review sessions with project teams, acquiring consensus and getting approvals on designs and documentation
- Conceptualise the form, function and ease of use for the development of online content to enhance user satisfaction and usage.
- Create user interface elements in both low-fidelity and high-fidelity using industry standards and industry recognized tools such as Adobe XD, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and similar.
- Contribute to information architecture, site maps, schematics, wireframes, navigation schemes and taxonomies for corporate website.
- Create, implement and maintain digital department assets and products such as prototypes, web pages, graphics (web and social) and videos that translate customer needs into effective communications.
- Create business acceptance test cases, coordinate pilots and user testing to ensure products meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders prior to implementation.
- Support the development and evaluation of highly effective and usable web content to ensure a consistent customer experience.
- Develop and deliver reports, briefs and presentations, including multimedia/interactive applications to a variety of audiences.
- Develop infographics, visual aids and other graphic design products to help communicate key messages and content.
- Work with a variety of stakeholders including project teams, communication and web teams to ensure consistency in style, format and delivery of communication and function of the online service to deliver the best customer experience and achieve desired outcomes.
- Plan, develop and participate in the implementation of digital communication strategies, protocols, plans and web content to create the online presence and service channel for the business.
- Support project teams and service functions to effectively communicate to customers.
- Provide high quality customer service and support to internal and external client.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The successful candidate will have a 4-year degree in systems design, interaction design, human computer interaction or related field combined with at least 1-2 years of relevant experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. A certificate in creativity and creative problem solving is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of building permits, Ontario Building Code, Zoning By-laws, Planning Act and applicable law
- Experience working on digital projects, user interface (UI), project management, user stories and user boards, wire frames, low and high fidelity designs, web coding, mind mapping tools, user experience (UX) tools.
- Knowledge in design thinking and human-centered design methodologies.
- Knowledge and understanding of accessibility standards (AODA) and W3G/WCAG is preferred.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, and design tools such as Adobe XD, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure, Figma, HTML/CS coding, SharePoint Designer and similar technologies.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and relationship building skills, including the ability to listen for understanding of customer needs while ensuring compliance with corporate program requirements.
- Facilitation skills to gain valuable insights into customer behaviours, effective communication methods and business understanding.
- Good understanding of web culture and, in turn, effective at communicating through this medium and the potential uses of electronic information.
- Knowledge and experience with photography, video and multimedia production techniques is considered an asset.
- Publishing procedures/principles to ensure easy access to online materials and high-quality product outcomes are considered an asset.
- Ability to work independently as well as contribute effectively in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail is essential with ability to demonstrate excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer support and satisfaction.
- Ability to provide a portfolio - digital or hard copy.
DATED: May 25, 2023
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for each of the testing and interview components of the recruitment process is 70%.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.